Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sarah's Summer Update

I am sure all of you stay up late at night wondering "Gee, what is Sarah doing this summer?" Well wonder no more. Here is little peak at my life this summer.
  • Work- I am currently working two jobs this summer trying to save money for graduate school next fall. My first job is a summer school teacher at Willow Creek Academy in Provo. I teach M-F 3:30 to 6:30. It is interesting, we do 2 week session where the students come to my class all 3 hours each day. Out of the 10 days of class we are on site 4 days, doing community service 2 days, and going on field trips 4 days. It is a lot of working and can be tiring at times but over all it is good.
  • Job #2- Due to the high levels of mental stress teaching can cause I decided to get a mindless grunt job for the mornings. Luckily a BYU professor needed some students to take his collection of dead fish, their stomaches embryos and prepare them to be put in the Bean Life Science Museum. So basically I fix up the vials of fish parts, make labels for them, and verify the information is correct. I really enjoy the job, but I am not quite sure what that says about me. There is a chance that once the fish are ready I can start working more with the data and helping with publications or the evaluating or the current study abroad program the professor and his grad students run.
  • Education Publications- Once a week I meet with my graduate professor and some of the other students in my program to hep each other get papers ready for publications. I am in charge of finishing/fixing up a paper we began writing for a class last fall. It helping me ease back into the swing of college, but it also reminds me how rusty I am after 2 years out of school.
  • Movies- My favorite time for movies is summer and Christmas. This summer we have seen Indiana Jones, Prince Caspian, Iron Man and Kung Fu Panda. I liked them all but my favorite was Iron Man. I am anxiously awaiting the opening of Hell Boy 2, WALL E and The Dark Knight. Those are my main desires for July.
  • Getting in Shape- Casey and I recently joined 24 hour fitness (I get a sweet discount through Willow Creek) and we are trying to go at least 4-5 times a week.
That about wraps up my summer life. Please don't feel bad about your life knowing how exciting mine is.

2 comments:

Maddy said...

WOW! thrilling!

And since Dustin is bad about calling his brothers -- we are coming to Utah around the 4th of July. We're staying with friends in PG for a bit and then headed up to Idaho. We'd love to see you guys while we're there or you're welcome to come and stay up in ID if you like. Hopefully you'll be around.

johnthebrown said...

here is a comment on your blog. don't want anyone to think i am playing favorites. we just saw the dark night yesterday and it was good, dark and depressing, but good.