Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Deep in the Heart of Texas

As many of you know Casey and I moved from Orem, Utah, down to Austin, Texas, on August 13. We have been settling in the past month and I figured it was time to give an update on the big move. I don't have pics of the apartment yet (we are still hanging up pictures on the walls and decorating) but I hope to finish all that this weekend. Here is a review of our first month in Texas.

The Move:
Casey and I totally lucked out as my amazing dad flew out to help us move. We also lucked out and my awesome boss Nikki let us put our stuff on the truck her new job was paying for, so we only had to pay the cost of gas for our two cars on the way down. We had two cars, a truck and five drivers so even though it was a 22-hour drive it wasn't too horrible. Neville was a real trooper and made it two solid days of driving. We stay the first night in Alberqure, N.M., and the second night in Dallas. Sunday morning we moved Nikki's stuff out of the truck (in Dallas) and then headed down to Austin. Johanna, John and their kids met us at our apartment with the apartment keys they had picked up for us on Saturday. A really nice neighbor saw us unloading and helped us. Which was extremely fortunate as Casey threw his back out while helping unload Nikki's stuff. He was hobbling around like an old man. We don't have a lot of stuff so luckily the unpacking went quickly.

School/Jobs:
Casey had his first day of orientation on Monday the 16th and then I had mine on Wednesday the 18th. I started work that Thursday and then we both started classes on Wednesday the 25th. So far our classes are interesting and keeping us busy. I work for the Texas Regional Collaborative on the STEM Project http://www.thetrc.org/trc/ and Casey got a job as a graphic design intern with http://www.utexas.edu/tsm/

Life in Austin:
We are really enjoying Austin despite the blazing heat and random tropical storms. Our apartment complex has a pool which we have visited a few times with Jo and her kids. Jo has some cute pics and if I remember to get them from her I will post some. We have also tried out a few restaurants with friends including my friend Natalie who I went to BYU-H with and her husband. We also had a visit from my high school friend, Katie, and her husband Rick who live in Louisiana. Rick got us some free tickets to the first UT home football game and we all bought burnt orange shirts so I really feel like a Longhorn now.

Pictures for your enjoyment:
This is what happens when it rains 9 inches in one day

Sporting our burnt orange at the first UT home game. We won by the way.
The UT fans do actually make the Hook 'em Horns sign a lot. Like the entire game. They also chant a lot, swear a lot and drink a lot. Seeing as my football experience thus far has been high school and BYU it was quite the experience.
This is to show the world how much I love Neville.
And this was just too cute to not share.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Neville is too cute. Can't wait to see him. Give him a kiss from Grandpa and Grandpa

Christina Call said...

Ok I am trying it... Rainy is dog sitting for 2 months... cross your fingers for me... ahhhh!

Miss you guys! Just found the email with your blog... YAY!!!

Take care! I was soooo excited to read about your move... but now I guess I am just in time for your new and upcoming post! lol... jk!

I everyone and Nikki... ttys

Christina

Pamila said...

Purchasing a custom built trade show exhibit is quite expensive, however a custom designed truss system isn't necessary.trade show booths